This is a very simple change to make. But if you're not used to saying a /z/ sound at the end of words, it may take a little bit of practice to get right.
Sounds in word: /ɪz/
- Making a long /i:/ instead of the short /ɪ/.
- Making /s/ sound at end instead of /z/.
Example in sentence: ‘Is the party tonight?’ ‘Yes, it is’
Here are the 3 steps to get this word right:
1. Practice holding the /z/ sound on it's own... 'zzzzzzzzzzz'
2. Practice saying 'is' and holding the /z/ sound... 'izzzzzzzzzz'
3. Make sure you are saying a short 'i' sound and not a long 'ee' sound.
Did you achieve your pronunciation goals this year?
If you're ending 2019 still feeling a little 'stuck' or 'shy' when speaking English, keep checking your inbox over the next few days.
I'll be sending out some early Christmas presents (highly effective pronunciation tutorials) to help you achieve the gift of confidence and certainty in your English speaking.
We're about to enter a new DECADE. Instead of going into the 2020's feeling shy and frustrated when speaking English, I want you to be feeling confident, 'like an equal'... and like you do when you speak your native language... the REAL you!
See you in tomorrow's email!